Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Templar
    Keymaster
    #466 |

Why do you think that the Knights Templar have become such a part of our culture as opposed to the Knights Hospitaliers or the Knights of Lazerous?

Grail Knight
    Participant
    #1406 |

I think that is because of the aura of mystery that surrounds The Templars. The secrecy that surrounded the Order. As well as the legends claiming that they were custodians of The Holy Grail, The Ark of The Covenant, The Shroud of Turrin, etc. etc. etc. Also the tragic way in which they were persecuted. These are some of the reasons that people are so fascinated with the Templars, I believe.

The Quest for The Holy Grail was never meant to be achieved. It was meant to be 'Lived' - now, today & forever. For God & Neighbor, I live & Serve.

Templar
    Keymaster
    #1707 |

I think that is because of the aura of mystery that surrounds The Templars. The secrecy that surrounded the Order. As well as the legends claiming that they were custodians of The Holy Grail, The Ark of The Covenant, The Shroud of Turrin, etc. etc. etc. Also the tragic way in which they were persecuted. These are some of the reasons that people are so fascinated with the Templars, I believe.

Great points. A little off-topic but you had mentioned elsewhere that you were in the Knights of columbus. What made you decide to join that Order?

Grail Knight
    Participant
    #2084 |

Brother Knight Timothy,

I joined the Order of The Knights of Columbus because as far as I knew, it was the only way for me to become a ‘Knight.’ There are no other Orders of Knighthood around here, that I know of. If there are, they are a well-kept secret. I have been interested in the ‘Knights Templar,’ even before I joined the Knights of Columbus. If I had known that there were some ‘Templars’ around, I would have made an effort to join them.

I joined the Knights of Columbus NOT because I wanted to join a ‘Catholic Social Club,’ but because I wanted to be a ‘Knight.’ It has been an ‘Honor & Privilege’ for me to be a member of the Order for more than 27 years now. I could’t just wait around for the Queen of England to ‘Knight’ me……:) so I took action myself. The Knights of Columbus was founded in 1882 and my home Council #255 was founded in 1897. So, as you can see….we have been around for a little while, almost 117 years, if my math is correct.

What made you decide to become a ‘Knight Templar?’

The Quest for The Holy Grail was never meant to be achieved. It was meant to be 'Lived' - now, today & forever. For God & Neighbor, I live & Serve.

Templar
    Keymaster
    #2093 |

Brother Knight Timothy,
    What made you decide to become a ‘Knight Templar?

I like the reasons that you joined the Knights of Columbus and it sounds like it has been rewarding for you.

I got involved with the Knights Templar because I really wanted to have a higher sense of purpose and meaning in life. The Knights Templar have provided this for me by showing me a disciplined and orderly way to follow Christ.

Grail Knight
    Participant
    #2101 |

Thank you very much for your answer. I guess those are similar to my reasons for wanting to become a Knight of Columbus. For as long as I can remember, I have had this powerful desire to know, love & serve the Lord, my God…with all of my heart, mind, soul & strength. I have wanted to be of ‘Service’ to my fellow Human Beings. I was looking for a ‘Vocation’ where I could follow the ‘New Commandment of my Lord Jesus Christ….The King of Kings & the Lord of Lords. That ‘Holy Commandment’ was “To love one another, as I have loved you.” Being a 4th Degree Knight of Columbus has given me the opportunity to do just that.

In case you are wondering, in The Knights of Columbus there are four levels of membership:

1. First Degree Member – Page
    2. Second Degree Member – Squire
    3. Third Degree Member – Brother Knight (This is when a member actually receives the ‘Accolade’.)
    4. Fourth Degree Member – Worthy Sir Knight

Templar
    Keymaster
    #2115 |

1. First Degree Member – Page
    2. Second Degree Member – Squire
    3. Third Degree Member – Brother Knight (This is when a member actually receives the ‘Accolade’.)
    4. Fourth Degree Member – Worthy Sir Knight

Thank you for teaching me this, I didn’t know. What would you say are the major differences between the Knights of Columbus and a Masonic Knight?

Grail Knight
    Participant
    #2118 |

Not being a Masonic Knight…….I wouldn’t have anything to compare the two Orders with. Our’s was founded in 1882 with the Principles of Charity, Unity, Fraternity, and Patriotism.

TSIngersoll
    Participant
    #2192 |

I would offer this:

Our modern society has evolved to a point where rites of passage, faith, and virtue are but antiquated thoughts. This evolution leaves men’s lives somewhat empty and unfulfilled, many men want and need the challenge that Knighthood offers. To this end the quest to find a greater purpose to life than simply living to reach the end, compels some men of faith to serve not only themselves, but to serve God and the greater good, seeking the Knightly Order is, in the eyes of many men the path of choice in which to serve God and his creation in a fulfilling way that brings the challenges and purpose to life that has been forgotten and is yet desperately needed for men to reach their greatest potential as individuals.

Just my two cents.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”- Edmund Burke

Templar
    Keymaster
    #2193 |

I would offer this:

Our modern society has evolved to a point where rites of passage, faith, and virtue are but antiquated thoughts. This evolution leaves men’s lives somewhat empty and unfulfilled, many men want and need the challenge that Knighthood offers. To this end the quest to find a greater purpose to life than simply living to reach the end, compels some men of faith to serve not only themselves, but to serve God and the greater good, seeking the Knightly Order is, in the eyes of many men the path of choice in which to serve God and his creation in a fulfilling way that brings the challenges and purpose to life that has been forgotten and is yet desperately needed for men to reach their greatest potential as individuals.
    Just my two cents.

Very well written! I really like this. Thank you for contributing.

TSIngersoll
    Participant
    #2201 |

Thank you,

Tim

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”- Edmund Burke

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Click Here To Enter Knights Templar Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.