Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Templar
    Keymaster
    #318 |

When the Knights Templar were forced out of France and surrounding regions and were getting killed, they had a fleet of about 18 ships docked in modern day France. The mystery is, is that they disappeared and no has a clue where they went to, what is thought is that they got there treasure and fled across to the Americas and hid there treasure in some isolated location or on some islands. But the question is, what do you actually think happened to the fleet? Perhaps there was never a fleet, did the Templars that survived migrate to Switzerland and start the banks that, that country is known for? Or did they just dissolve?
    Modify message

Charland
    Participant
    #668 |

It seems unusual that there is no definitive history of that. It would make sense that they sailed to Scotland and settled there. But there is a huge gap in their history from that time until the later versions appeared. Perhaps archaeology will find the link someday?

Templar
    Keymaster
    #708 |

It seems unusual that there is no definitive history of that. It would make sense that they sailed to Scotland and settled there. But there is a huge gap in their history from that time until the later versions appeared. Perhaps archaeology will find the link someday?

Agreed, we can only hope so Charland. Archaeologists are not done finding clues to where the Templars ended up. I’m encouraged that there is enough interest in the Templars to keep the search alive.

Oakley
    Participant
    #876 |

Is the story of the fleet true or myth? I am looking for the historical documentation for that. It seems likely that they would sail to a friendly country like Portugal.

Templar
    Keymaster
    #888 |

Is the story of the fleet true or myth? I am looking for the historical documentation for that. It seems likely that they would sail to a friendly country like Portugal.

What I’ve learned, according to several sources that I’ve referenced below, the Templars had 18 ships left that they sailed out of France at the time when the King of France was persecuting them. From one of those sources:

“Actually, it is doubtful that the surprise attack on the Templars was unexpected. Considerable evidence suggests that the order knew that catastrophe was imminent. In any case, precautions had been taken. There is persuasive evidence to suggest that the order’s treasurer and a group of knights, took the “treasure of the temple”, along with almost all of the order’s documents and records, and smuggled them by wagons to the coast — presumably to the order’s naval base at La Rochelle — and loaded everything aboard eighteen galleys, which were never heard of again. [In later traditions, the significance of a Navy has never been lost on the inheritors of the Templar traditions.]” From: 5 paragraphs down: http://www.halexandria.org/dward222.htm

Another source also listing 18 Templar ships: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=55569

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Click Here To Enter Knights Templar Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.