2021 International Convent
103rd 3rd St
St, Augustine, FL 32084
October 1-3, 2021
SATURDAY OCT 2nd AGENDA
This is a business meeting. Should begin at 10:00, 1-hour break for lunch,
ending around 15:00, 30 minutes to change to uniforms/mantles,
wrap up no later than 17:30 to leave time for clean up
10:00 Welcome and business meeting
Discussions re: Statutes/Rules/Manual
12:00 Lunch Break
13:00 Business meeting
Claussen history of the Order
Leppard OSMTJ College of Heraldry
Reports from Magistral Legates, status of Grand Priories, charitable activities
15:00 Break to change to Mantles
15:30 Installation/investitures/promotions with short religious service
17:00 Wrap up/summaries
4100 Coastal Hwy,
St. Augustine, FL 32084
Grand Chaplain Caesar Johnson will be performing the Eucharist,
and is being assisted by Chaplains Mike Horton and Steven Graves
There will be a few promotions on Saturday and the Grand Master will preside over all of them.
CEREMONIES OF THE ORDER
OPENING PRAYER (Psalm 115, verses 1-11) (All respond with even verses)
- Not unto us, 0 Lord, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory, for Thy mercy, and for Thy truth’s sake.
- Wherefore should the heathen say, where now is their God?
- But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased.
- Their idols are silver and gold, the work of men’s hands.
- They have mouths, but they speak not: eyes have they, but they see not;
- They have ears, but they hear not: noses have they but they smell not::
- They have hands, but they handle not; feet have they, but they walk not: neither speak they through their throat;
- They that make them are like unto them; so is everyone that trusteth in them.
- O Israel, trust thou in the Lord: he is their help and their shield:
- O house of Aaron, trust in the Lord: he is their help and their shield:
- Ye that fear the Lord, trust in the Lord: he is their help and their shield.
RECEPTION INTO THE ORDER
GRAND PRIOR: ‘Good postulants, you ask a very great thing, for of our Order you see only the outer appearance. For the appearance that you see us having fine clothing and good food and drink, and thus it seems to you that you would be well at ease. But you do not know the harsh commandments which lie beneath: our mission is to do battle for Christ wherever there is need or call and to be a servant to Christ and to the Order. Now decide, good gentle postulants, if you could tolerate these hardships. You should not request the company of the Order to have domains or riches, nor to have physical ease or honor. But you should request it for three reasons: one, to put aside and leave behind the sin of this world; the other, to do the work of Our Lord; the third is to do penance in this world for the salvation of the soul, and such should be the thought by which you ask it. Do you wish to be, all the days of your life henceforth, a servant of the Order? If yes, say “Yes, if it pleases God.”
POSTULANTS: ‘Yes if it pleases God.”
Good postulants, hear well what we will say to you, do you promise to God that henceforth all the days of your life you will be a servant of the Order? Do you also promise to God that henceforth all the days of your life you will help to conquer by words and deeds with the strength and power that God has given you, the Holy kingdom of Christ, and that which Christians hold, you will help to keep and save within your power? Do you also promise to God that you will never leave the Order for stronger or weaker, nor for worse or better? If, yes, swear or affirm the Oath of the Order.by repeating after me:
“I will uphold the chivalrous tradition and Christian ideals of the O.S.M.T.J.; I will do my best to provide a voice to the oppressed, strength to the weak and afflicted, and largesse to the poor; I will bear only true witness to my brothers and sisters in Christ and will serve them and the Order to the best of my abilities, so help me God.”
TO THE POSTULANTS: Are you ready to join the Order of Knights of the Temple and keep the sacrament of Holy Cross and the Principles of Christianity, to serve the Holy Cross of Christ, following the ideals of our ancestors and all the Christian knights?” Repeat: “Yes, ready!”
GRAND PRIOR: Do you swear in front of our Lord Jesus and to the brothers and sisters to serve the holy crucifix and follow the principles and ideals of Christianity?” Then repeat: “I swear!”
Then kneel and accept the accolade of the Order. Acting consciously in your mind (sword at the head), with faith (sword touches the heart), and given strength (sword to the right shoulder) do you swear to draw the unbeliever to the bosom of the Church, the enemy – to expel, the weak – to strengthen the discouraged to permanently restore morale, as is the invincible knight, whose sword is driven primarily by his mind and spirit? Repeat three times: “I swear!”
GRAND PRIOR: Arise, noble knights and dames, you are now a knight/dame of the Order and our brothers and sisters praise to the Lord those who join us and those who wish you to join our brothers and sisters. Therefore, by virtue of the authority vested in me by and in the name of, our Lord Jesus Christ, I accept you as members of the Temple. We, on behalf of our Lord Jesus Christ and in the name of the Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost, and of all brothers and sisters of the Temple, welcome you to all the favors of the Order which have been done since the beginning and which will be done up to the end. And you welcome us to all the favors which you have done and will do. And so we promise to you only the bread and water and poor clothing of our House.
PROMOTION IN THE ORDER
Noble Knight/Dame, you have faithfully accepted the oaths and commandments of the Order and have demonstrated by your deeds and performance, your obedience to the Order and its ideals in the service of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Are you ready to undertake additional responsibilities of advanced rank in the Order? If so repeat “yes, Ready.”
PROMOTEES: “Yes, Ready”
Do you swear to perform the duties of your new rank in the Order and to uphold the noble Christian ideals inherent in that rank?
PROMOTEES: “Yes, I swear”
GRAND PRIOR: Then kneel to show your subservience to the Rules and Commands of the Order and the words and commands of the knights and dames over you. Therefore by the power invested in me as _________________ of the Order, I hereby promote you to the rank of ______________, in recognition of the good deeds that you have done and the good deeds that you will do in our noble Order and in the name of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
INSTALLATION OF NEW TEMPLAR ENTITY
GRAND PRIOR: Good brothers and sisters of our noble Order, we are gathered today to act on the petition of our brothers and sisters to establish a new Christian “Temple” in order to fulfill the obligation given to us by our Lord Jesus Christ to spread the good news of his words and deeds to all the world. We have accepted the petition of the required number of knights and dames of our Order and we recognize good works that they have done and look forward to the good works that they will do in fulfillment of the Lord’s commandments. Therefore, by the authority granted to me by our Statutes and Rules, and acting forever humbly in the name of Our Lord Jesus Christ, I hereby approve the establishment of the _________________ of _________________, and name ________________ as head of that new Temple, to forever spread the words and deeds of Our Lord Jesus Christ, and in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, I bless your deeds.
CLOSING PRAYER (Psalm 133) (All respond with even verses)
- Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
- It is like the precious ointment from the head that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron’s beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments;
- As the dew of the Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore.
OSMTJ International Grand Convent
St. Augustine, Florida
1-2 October 2021
- Opening Prayer: Grand Chaplain Bishop Caesar Johnson, USA
- Introduction and Etiquette – Elizabeth Oversteen, Norway
- Welcome remarks – Ronald Mangum
- Grand Chancellor : T. Bryant Jones, USA
- Grand Secretary General: Dr. Daithi O’Braian, Ireland
- Grand Treasurer: Elizabeth Oversteen, Norway
- Grand Chaplain: Caesar Johnson, USA
- Grand Commander: Keven Ellis: Canada:
- Grand Seneschal: Jean-Luis Lams, Belgium
- Grand Marshal: Capt. Michael Davis
- Grand Almoner Slobodan Traparic: Serbia
- Grand Historian: Daniel Clausen, USA
- Grand Armorer: Michel Tarlowski, Romania
- Grand Herald: Francis Haggerty: Cyprus
- Grand Magistral Councilor: Cpt. Michael Davis, USA
- Grand Arkhitecton: Michael McVicker, USA
- Grand Magistral Legates
- Spanish and Portuguese Priories: Javier Miguel Gamez Vizcaino
- North America: T. Bryant Jones
- Europe: Dr. Daithi O’Briain
- Middle East and Africa: Philippe Ghostine Matta
- Asia: Dale John Jacob Leppard
4. Committee reports
- Commission on the History of the Order: Dale John Joseph Leppard
5. Silent Knight Program Commission – COL. Carlson
6. Grand Master
- Action Items
Pakistan – in progress
Indonesia/Malaysia – in progress
Promotions and installations
Commission on Traditions and Rituals – chair Michel Tarlowski
- Other Business
Member reports and registers
Order of Procession
Members by rank
Knights and Dames
Knight and Dame Commanders
On exit, process out in reverse order (postulants as Knights and Dames)
OSMTJ has adopted a Biblically inspired service program for our Order. The program is Silent Knight. It is named to reflect the anonymous character of Christian service we desire to project into our communities. The program defines the behavior and selflessness we seek in OSMTJ Knights and Dames.
To be a Silent Knight only requires the will and dedication to perform at least one anonymous act of charity each month. Identify a person in your community that needs a word of encouragement, a small or large (depending on your financial ability) gift to meet a specific need (For example: heating oil, gift certificate for gas, groceries, rent, prom dress, track shoes, etc.). Each Silent Knight can use this program to attract others to our Order by having potential postulants deliver the gift, thus witnessing the act of charity, while maintaining anonymity of the provider.
Make this program your own. Make it your quest to serve God. You can order the book, Silent Knight at thesilentknight.com either in paperback or Kindle form. If you are outside the US the Kindle version is recommended as the cost of shipping is heavy. The book is a roadmap on how to work in your community anonymously.